Recipe of the month – Corn dogs
This is one of those dishes that feels totally American, the kind of food that conjures up imagery of carnivals in your mind, the bright lights and that kind of seedy undertone from when the fair rolls into town. This our chef Ben’s take on this American junk food classic, he has spiced it up a little and refined it so we can put it on at SFP HQ.
- 6 sausages
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g fine cornmeal
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 red chilli de seeded and finely chopped
- 1 2cm piece of root ginger peeled and grated
- 1 bunch of spring onions finely chopped
- 1 small tin of sweet corn drained
- 50ml of Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 1 400ml tin of coconut milk
- 1 330ml can of ginger beer
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.
- Put sausages on a baking tray and cook for 20 mins or until cooked through and then leave to cool.
- Mix all other ingredients in a mixing bowl to form a loose batter and season to taste.
- Preheat your oil to 180 degrees.
- When sausages are cool flour them and mold the batter mix around them.
- Carefully place in your oil and fry for approximately 4 mins or until golden brown.
- When cooked drain on kitchen towel and place on a wooden skewer to serve.
We’ve served these with our chipotle dip and homemade slaw but they are great as a snack with just some mustard.